What are the benefits of laser dentistry?
Laser dentistry can provide the patient with major benefits, such as:
- Any damage possibly done to the surrounding tissue can be minimized.
- Sutures or stitches may not be required during dental procedures when soft tissue dental lasers are used.
- Anesthesia may not be required with certain procedures involving laser dentistry.
- Bleeding is minimized since high-energy light beam helps in the coagulation, or clotting, of exposed blood vessels –minimizing the risk for blood loss as well.
- The risk for bacterial infections is also decreased since the high-energy beam is able to sterilize the treatment area.
- There would be faster wound and tissue healing.
What are laser dentistry procedures done on hard tissue (tooth)?
Laser can be utilized in hard tissue procedures in the following cases:
- Cavity detector. Dental lasers can detect tooth cavities by reading the by-products of tooth decay.
- Tooth preparation/dental fillings. Dental lasers on hard tissue may not need local anesthesia and the use of the traditional turbine drill, as bacteria in a cavity may already be killed with dental lasers.
- Tooth sensitivity. Dental lasers can help seal tubules that make teeth sensitive to hot and cold.
What are some soft tissue (gum) dental laser procedures?
Lasers can be used in the treatment of soft tissue conditions, such as during:
- Crown lengthening. Dental lasers can be used to reshape the gums and bone, exposing the healthier tooth.
- Muscle attachment. A tight or restricted frenulum can result to limited tongue movement and being “tongue-tied”. A laser frenectomy is the ideal dental treatment for treating speech impediments.
- Gummy smile. A gummy smile can be improved with the use of dental lasers to expose the healthy tooth structure by reshaping the gum tissue.
How can WaterLase iPlus treat dental conditions?
WaterLase iPlus is a new breakthrough in laser dentistry that is able to ablate hard tissue in half the time needed with other dental laser systems. It can eliminate the need for anesthesia administration, boosting productivity in the least possible time.